Tuesday, July 12, 2011

filling in the blanks

So my computer decided to crash and that is why I haven't had any recent posts but now my computer is fixed and I am over jet lag. So, here is the rest of my trip (I might break it up so the posts aren't so long).
Our second day in Athens we took a panoramic bus tour of the city, went to the Acropolis and the Acropolis museum.  The bus tour was really cool because we got to see the whole city and a lot of important sites from the comfort of an air-conditioned bus.  We were dropped off at the base of the acropolis and walked up to see the site.  There are so many more tourists in Greece than there are in Turkey. And none of them seem to realize that when people are taking pictures it is impolite to walk in front of them.  The top of the Acropolis is really beautiful and it was really cool to finally see structures like the Parthenon that I have heard so much about. It is sad that it has been so destroyed by war and strife.   The Acropolis museum as almost as amazing as the Acropolis itself.  Apparently in Athens if little kids want to dig a hole in their back yard they are going to discover an ancient site.  So, when they started digging to build the museum they found the remnants of ancient houses and instead of moving the site of the museum they built on top of these ruins and gave the museum a glass bottom so that visitors could see the ruins and watch the archaeologists excavate.  The first floor is sloped to mirror the slope that leads up to the Acropolis and here are the artifacts that were found on the slope.  The second floor is filled with statues and other artifacts found at the top of the Acropolis hill. It is cool to see the progression of art through the statues.  The top floor has the friezes from the top of the Parthenon. However, the only real ones that are there are battered and hard to make out figures on.  There are also some copies of some better images but the originals of these are in the British museum.  The best thing about this floor is that you can see the Parthenon out the window and mirror what you see in the museum to where is was originally.    After we left the museum we went to get lunch and of course we got some gyros because they are freaking awesome.  For dinner the whole group was taken to a traditional Greek restaurant where they had traditional music and dancing. Food-amazing, Music-nice, Dancing-so much fun.  We were sitting next to the stage and my seat was directly next to the steps.  One of the singers pulled me on stage and that was supremely awkward but so much fun. I thought I could spend the rest of the night enjoying the entertainment. I was wrong. They pulled me up on stage again but this time I wasn't alone. The dancers pulled most of the students in our group on stage (some how David managed to escape) and some other people that were at the restaurant. We had to dance with some random person and then the dancers would either make them kiss us or us kiss them in front of the entire restaurant.  Luckily my dance partner had to kiss me on both cheeks and on my forehead. Linh and Ben both had to kiss their dance partners and Kara and Niha got to escape the partner thing.  It was a very fun night and it was cool to get a glimpse into Greek culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment